Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd. This movement began in 1970, when 20 million Americans from all walks of life were mobilized to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change and protect the Earth for future generations.
The launch of this movement dramatically raised environmental awareness and resulted in the passage of laws to actively protect the environment, such as the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act. Today, more than 1 billion people participate in Earth Day activities on a global basis, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
The impact of Earth Day is intimately related to the Jan/San industry as the health and environmental impacts of conventional cleaning products have become more thoroughly understood. This has led to more and more brands of healthy, green and effective cleaning products which are non-toxic, biodegradable and made from renewable resources. Incorporating these products and methods into a green cleaning program will help improve the health and environment of a building and its occupants.
Here are some simple ideas on how you can celebrate and make the most of Earth Day 2017:
- Get rid of cleaning products with scents that are toxic to your body and to the environment. Replace window cleaners, dish and hand soaps and bathroom cleaners with green brands. The benefits include improved health, increased clarity, a reduction in allergic reactions and a healthier planet.
- Use green cleaning products that are natural,biodegradable products and reduce exposure to harsh toxins and other chemicals and reduce the introduction of these substances into the environment.
- Use compact-fluorescent (CFL) or LED lights which last significantly longer and use 75 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs. And turn off lights when you’re not using them to save energy.
- Buy Eco-Friendly Paper and don’t forget to recycle all your paper scraps instead of sending them to a landfill.
- Recycle outside the box. In addition to recycling everything that can be recycled, think green when buying or replacing items.
- Eliminate plastic bottles by installing a water filtration system in the office. Not only will the water be fresh and clean but you will save time and money by avoiding the use of packaged water.
- Personally pledge to make a positive impact on Earth Day: take a walk and appreciate nature, plant a tree or a flower, pick up a discarded bottle and recycle it, turn off your printer for a day, power off your computer, go vegetarian, use a Green Seal(™) certified natural cleaning product.
By following these simple tips, you can cut thousands of dollars off your bills and make yourself more attractive to eco-conscious consumers. As a proud provider of Green Seal(™) certified products, Empire Cleaning Supply offers green solutions to help you achieve your goals for a happier, healthier and safer environment. Empire has everything you need for a green clean. Contact our customer service team for information on effective chemicals, processes and products to achieve and maintain a green and efficient facility.
Happy Earth Day!